Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Week 10 Manga – Scott Pilgrim

At first I thought it was pretty weird that Scott Pilgrim is considered a manga under this assignment, but I’ve decided to read it anyway regardless. Actually I’ve went a little deeper into the history of Scott Pilgrim and found out that the author of the comic initially wanted to write a “Shonen” style comic, which I believe to be is some sort of manga and that he drew some influences from it. So, I’ve learned that Scott Pilgrim had some foreign influences that I never really would have thought of.


Some of the first things that really grabbed me were the amount of video game references the comic has. It really had some appeal to me because of this fact. I even thought the way the story was written is like a video game in itself. First off, the story is about a guy named Scott who has to defeat his girlfriend’s seven ex- boyfriends. They way he had to fight them was like an arena battle with each ex-boyfriend being harder than the last. He then has to fight a “final boss” and eventually save the damsel in distress, kind of like a Mario game.

No comments:

Post a Comment